なお、電話で hold on というのは しばらくお待ち下さいということだが、秘書や電話交換の人たちは 話中に 他の電話を良く取るので 例文のように話を一時中断し、別の電話に出ることもあるでしょう。
• May I ask who is calling?
• Yes, this is John Sanders. I am with XYZ, Inc., and Mr. Suzuki is expecting me.
• Mr. Sanders, Mr. Suzuki is out of office, but should be back by one o'clock. May I take your message, or have him call you back?
• Well, I will be leaving in a couple of minutes for lunch, so I would rather call him later again when I return.
• Hold on sir. ABC Corporation, Mr. Suzuki's office, please hold. All right sir. Then, I will just let him know that you called, and tell him that you will get back to him.
• Thank you.